Our navigation and mountain safety day is an opportunity for people with little or no navigational experience to learn how to safely and confidently find their way around the mountains and Glens using a map and compass and other navigational aids, even in poor visibility.
We believe that learning to navigate is also a fun and interesting new skill to have.
We also incorporate some simple practical mountain safety information that can help to keep you and your walking companions safe on various types of terrain and when weather conditions deteriorate.
Full day navigation and mountain safety day
A 1-day course for the total beginner will set you up with the basics of using a map and compass over easy mountain terrain.
These are just some of the key skills you will learn:
- Basic use of a compass, ordnance survey maps and other navigational aids.
- How to walk on a bearing
- How to read and use a grid reference
- Contour features, attack points, relocation, handrails, pacing and timing
- Route planning
- How to safely walk on various types of terrain (steep ground, use of walking poles)
- Why and how we use emergency shelters
- Advice on what to carry in your first aid kit and in your rucksack
- How to deal with an accident or emergency situation
Navigation and Mountain Safety Day
We take full payment for the navigation and mountain safety days at the time of booking. All payments will be 100 % refundable until 24 hours before the walk or weekend starts. This should give you enough flexibility regarding COVID-19.
All navigation and mountain safety days around Ullapool can be offered as a private departure.
Feel free to contact us regarding accommodation, we run our own AirBnB and have contacts to various holiday cabins around the village.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us via Whatsapp, Facebook, email or phone call.
Half-day per Adult (16+) – From GBP 45 pp
Full-day per Adult (16+) – From GBP 60 pp
All McKenzie Mountaineering – Guided Walking Adventure Navigation and mountain safety days are limited to 4 places, to give you a great experience, learning time and to minimise our impact on the environment.